Eliza needs a new outfit – modern occasionwear

Its a rare occasion that I’ll get a new outfit.  It’s seldom bought, and more often manufactured, and generally in a frantic rush.  Usually its a quickie manufacture of the silk hero vest teamed with white jeans and the trusty tweed.

However earlier this summer (yup it’s taken me a few  weeks amidst the wedding season to rush to share this with you) I was treated to a special meal, an event which I felt required an extra-special outfit.

Whilst I’m happy with my jeans… I just wanted something special, yet a bit quirky. Since visiting Sri Lanka in 2012, I have itching to make up the silk sari fabric purchased whilst there. I always thought it lent itself to something special, but didn’t want to make a one-off evening dress I would never wear again (#lifestyle changes!).

Embarrassing silk shopping in Dambulla four years ago
Embarrassing silk shopping in Dambulla four years ago

A slightly different sari was purchased but here it is in 2016.  I’m not one for sketching my designs – which can be a pain as they live in my head constantly, but I had an idea for using the different motifs for a “hero” t-shirt top and culottes.

 

From the longest piece of fabric to sourcing the relevant motifs for the outfit
From the longest piece of fabric to sourcing the relevant motifs for the outfit
Using the border of the fabric I created a pattern along the centre back for the top
Using the border of the fabric I created a pattern along the centre back for the top

 

Using the body of the sari to create the front
Using the body of the sari to create the front

 

For the culottes I used the right side of the sari (having using the other side - is there a right and wrong with a sari??) for the top
For the culottes I used the right side of the sari (having using the other side – is there a right and wrong with a sari??) for the top

Panic struck; having tried on the two-piece I felt it was too matchy-matchy and  needed something to break up the striking sari cloth.  A quick delve into the fabric mountain produced a remnant of silk morocain.  Three hours later…

 

Having tried the two-piece I decided I need a plain top (matchy matchy isn't my style), so next up a remnant of silk morocain
Plain silk morocain with sari trim

 

Modeled...badly. The top and culottes. Top with sari edging to keep the theme going
Modelled…badly. The top and culottes. Top with sari edging to keep the theme going

 

...and from the rear, keeping the trim motif down the centre back
…and from the rear, keeping the trim motif down the centre back

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s